March 30, 2011

Women's History Month

Hey everyone, I know I haven't posted in a while. I had been meaning to, but I just don't have the patience or attention span to write a bunch of stuff. Anyway, Masahide Kato (yeah the dude that writes that sick nuclear kritik we've all got people mad by winning on) recently had a Facebook post that reminded me that it was Women's History Month. I'm admittedly embarrassed because I didn't realize it was March. But, in honor of the month, I'd like to recommend and summarize some books written by some of my favorite feminist authors.

Earth Democracy by Vandana Shiva
Throughout her life, Shiva has been very critical of technological approaches to the environment. After working with and actually seeing the effects of nuclear power, she has written fiercely about the patriarchal underpinnings of environmental management. Being an eco-feminist she argues that there are connections between the way women and nature have been abused. Through a patriarchal lens, they are viewed as "standing reserves" if you will that must bend to the will of masculine domination. In the book Earth Democracy she is critical of intellectual property rights on crops and the privatization of natural resources. These are forms of patriarchal domination over nature in her view. She continues to be very critical of how the WTO's treaties and IMF have contributed to massive amounts of poverty and resource depletion. A great read and, if you're a debater, the cards fly right off almost every page.

All About Love by bell hooks
I know there are plenty of other bell hooks books that I could have gone with that talk more about feminism, but I have some history with and obligation to this book. In this book, hooks discusses the way patriarchal assumptions and fear have created a climate of hostility in our society. We have become a culture that worships death and fears otherness. This incessant fear has created the conditions necessary to otherize and destroy populations. Her alternative is to embrace a "love ethic" centered around an embracing of difference and mutual understanding. I know this sounds like hippy mumbo jumbo, and maybe it is, but hooks makes it sound great. I highly recommend this book, it goes great with a hospice affirmative.

Toward a Feminist Theory of the State by Catharine A. MacKinnon
MacKinnon takes us through a journey of American legal studies and how the legal system has functioned to uphold masculine assumptions and discourse surrounding almost every facet of the law that directly affects women. Through her analysis of the legal system, MacKinnon tackles big issues by discussing problems with the masculine framings of rape laws and abortion issues. There are also some sick perm cards if you're reading a feminism aff.

There you have it. Sorry I hadn't posted in a while, but I just got the new Pokemon game and all I feel like doing is playing that and sleeping. You should, if you're interested, post more suggestions, as these were only a few books that I had laying around.

Happy Women's History Month,
PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment