February 3, 2011

Meta-Tangible Philosophy

Salutations, my name is Max Birnbaum. I am a junior from San Antonio, Texas and debate at Churchill High School. Upon joining debate my adventure into critical literature began. The elders of my debate team began by taking me and my partner(fellow contributor Adam Lipton) aside giving us crude descriptions of great thinkers like Michel Foucault, and teaching us about why things like capitalism are bad. After these first encounters my hunger for knowledge was immense. I began my independent studies with Heidegger, and saw the capacity for philosophical ideas to literally reshape the landscape upon which I understood myself and my pre-existing material reality.I hope with these posts to encourage discussion about things that are in our general world are "relegated to the oblivion". To allow critical thought to flow and create new lines of flight and new methods of interpreting the world in which we dwell in. This blog also has the possibility to be more than just a space for over arching post- modern theory but allows us to discuss the things that go on in our everyday life and world and analyze them critically. I don't have much else to say except that I am open to questions, criticism, and friendship. All I ask is for participation to be genuine and to always remember the immortal words of the late great Edward Said:

"History is made by men and women, just as it can also be unmade and rewritten, always with various silence and elisions, always with shapes imposed and disfigurements tolerated"

Thanks to Hank and Chris and the other contributors for the privilege to join an amazing project and giving me and outlet for thoughts to run wild




1 comment: